NYS Hunting & Fishing License
What identification or proof of residency will I need
to purchase a license?
hunting and trapping licenses, proof of a prior license or appropriate sportsman education certification
- NYS residents must provide one of the following proofs of residency:
- Your driver's license or a NYS non-driver's identification issued by the Department
of Motor vehicles
- an IT-201 or W-2 income tax form for the
- a current voter registration card
- a current NYS vehicle registration
- a current lease
- military LES (Leave and Earnings
Statement) or military orders
- a current student ID card
- a current pay stub or letter from a current employer on letterhead containing your
applying for a Deer Management Permit (DMP):
DMPs may now be applied for via the DECALS system at all License Issuing Outlets, by phone or by mail (see DECALS
Process above). We are no longer doing a separate mail-in deer management permit application.
DMPs must be applied for by close of business October 1, 2009.
During the initial application period, DMPs will NOT be issued
on a first-come, first-served basis. A random selection process will occur at the License Issuing Outlet and, if selected,
you will receive your DMP(s) immediately.
Make sure you know what Wildlife Management Unit (WMU) you want to apply for before going to an issuing agent. You will be
allowed to apply for up to two DMPs. WMU boundaries are the same as last year.
If you are applying as a disabled veteran (40% or higher service-related disability),
bring your Veteran's Administration letter with your case number with you when you apply.
If you are applying as a landowner (50 acres or more), bring your tax map
identification number and Swis code (found on your tax bill) with you when you apply.
If you were rejected for a permit previously and have a preference
credit for the next hunting season, this information is stored in the centralized computer system and will be available to
all issuing agents.