The Town Hall building was originally constructed as the DeRuyter
Union School to replace a large, four story stone structure built as the DeRuyter Academy in 1835. The original academy
was located just west of the present building on the same lot.
|"Old Stone Heap"
In 1931 the consolidated DeRuyter Central Rural School District
was created and in 1936 a second school building housing high-school students was constructed on Railroad Street. With
the elimination of many rural schools during the 1940s, new school construction was warrented. In May, 1952, a new wing
was added to the Railroad Street building and the "old brick" school discontinued. In May, 1953, the former school was
turned over to the Town for $50.
|One of the class rooms in the old school.
Front to back, starting at left:
Row 1: Francis Handy, Richard Wood, Burnette Rainbow
Row 2: Carline Swayze, Lawrence Rainbow, Helen Thompson, Edith Van Dee
Row 3: Alice Briggs, Robert Ousler, Nancy Vincent, Ivan Atwood
Row 4: Janice Coon, Erma Paddock, Alice McGowan, Myrtle Bliss
Row 5: George Hoobler, Leah Vincent, Robert Powers, Percy Van Deusen, Robert
Row 6: Wells Smith, Betty Fox, Glen Warner, Wellrose Newitt
Article from the August 21, 1984 Cortland Standard:
The old DeRuyter fire bell has been hung in front of the Town Hall.
After nearly 38 years in storage, the bell has been given a place of honor beside the flag poles
which were erected on the east lawn a couple of years ago.
The bell was used as a fire bell from 1884 to 1946 when the Town Hall, then known as Union Hall,
burned. The old bell was then put in storage until recently.
The base of chimney blocks was erected by workers from Camp Georgetown under the direction of
David Marshall who polished the old bell. Supervisor Susan Waterstripe painted the supporting framework.
The bell was cast in 1832 by the L.A. Spinwall Co. of Albany. It originally hung in the
Old Union Church which stood approximately on the site of the present day United Church of Christ.
When the church was torn down in 1883, the bell was saved to be used as a fire bell.